Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"IMPACT BIAS"

“IMPACT BIAS”


A professor in Harvard’s department of psychology Daniel Gilbert and the psychologist Tim Wilson has taken the lead in studying a particular type of emotional and behavioral prediction. They call the difference between what we predict and what we finally experience the “impact bias”. We can see how people forecast their future and desire about something, but in real life it all changes or just stops being special and becomes ordinary. In my case, I thought I was going to find happiness coming to the United States and I also predicted that my first job was going to give me happiness and pleasure as well.

Daniel Gilbert and Tim Wilson explain how we falter when we visualize how we fell about something in the future. They call the difference between what we predict and what we finally experience the “impact bias”. How they explain “impact” meaning the errors we make in guessing both the intensity and duration of our emotions and “bias” meaning our propensity to err. According to this study almost all actions, for example, buying a new car or having children are based on our predictions of the emotional consequences of these events.

I imagined  I was going to find happiness coming to the United States. Like many people, I thought I would find more opportunities and better quality of life. When I arrived, I noticed that I was not completely happy as I thought. I miss my country, my family and friends. In consequence, what I expected for my life and what I finally experience affected my emotional state.

When I was 15 years old, I was eager to get a job. I thought that a job could give me freedom. But, when I finally got my first job, I noticed that it was not like I had imagined. For example, I didn’t get freedom, now that I had to obey other rules and be more responsible. That was frustrating for me, but helped me to understand that sometimes we err when we imagine how will feel about something in the future.

Impact bias is the difference between what we predict and what we ultimately experience. Sometimes we err when we imagine how we will feel about something in the future. Furthermore, our predictions affect our emotional states. Finally, it is important to wonder at the least if we are making mistakes when we thought about life choices and about happiness.

4 comments:

  1. HEY STEPHANY,
    I READ YOUR BLOG TODAY AND I WANTED TO SAY THAT I LIKED HOW YOU GAVE ALOT OF INFO ABOUT WHAT THE EXPERTS DISSCUSSED IN THE VIDEO AND ARTICLE.ALSO I LIKED HOW YOU ALSO RELATED ASIGNMENT TO YOUR OWN LIFE. I THINK THAT THE WAY YOU TOLD US WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO WRITE ABOUT IN THE INTRO BUT DIDNT ELABERATE UNTILL FURTHER INTO THE BLOG.I THINK THE ONLY THING YOU COULD HAVE DONE TO MAKE IT MORE INTERESTHING.IS ELABERATE ON CERTAIN PERSONAL THINGS LIKE WHAT COUNTRY YOU CAME FROM ,WHAT WAS YOUR 1ST JOB AND WHY YOU DIDNT LIKE AND WHAT YOU PLAN TO DO TO CHANGE THE WAY YOU FEEL ABOUT COMMING TO THE U.S. I REALLY ENJOYED READING YOUR BLOG....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALSO ENJOYED READING YOUR BLOG. THANKS FOR YOUR WORDS AND I WILL TRY TO GIVE MORE DETAILS.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephany,

    You did a nice job! Some sentences are a little choppy - this can be slowly perfected over time. Timothy seems to have given you some nice advice. Good start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your Way of view things; being positive,go for what bring you pleasure.I would sugguest you to minimize your run on on some sentences,grammar mistakes otherwise great job!!!

    ReplyDelete